University of St. Thomas
Ziegler Cooper Architects was selected by University of St. Thomas to design a new 36,000 s.f. Humanities/Education building which met their considerable programmatic needs and was complementary to the existing campus master plan designed by Philip Johnson in 1950. With a 2-story height limitation and limited footprint, the building completes the quadrangle as well as the arcade around the mall that connects to the stone bell tower wall of the St. Basil Chapel.
Ziegler Cooper used the requisite brick, terrazzo, steel and glass material palette, and introduced state-of-the-art technology, high performance glass, and mechanical and electrical systems. The school needed more space than the footprint and height limitations allowed. Thus the design included one story below grade that extends 50% from the footprint above ground. All classrooms and labs are equipped with audio/visual and data/communication systems running below a raised, tiered flooring system to each desktop or station. The facility is also equipped with backup power for pumps and life safety equipment.