Establishing Fees, Contracts, Basic
Services, Change Orders, & Billing

What Contract Form Does ZCA Use?

For significant building project agreements, we use the industry-standard AIA (The American Institute of Architects) Document B101.

Master Planning and Pre-design Services are typically performed under a short-form letter of agreement which is patterned after and references AIA contract document standards.

How do you establish your fees?

Master Planning work is done under a lump sum contract, separate from Architectural Services.

Architectural/Engineering Services for a building design are typically based on a negotiated percentage of the cost of construction. These fees vary according to the complexity of the building to be designed.

How do you handle change orders? How are changes justified and approved? How do you communicate the changes and the impacts?

We work very hard to produce thorough and accurate construction documents so Change Orders for errors and omissions do not occur. Almost all change orders on our projects are initiated by the owner to add items to the project that had been previously deferred.

How frequently do you bill, and what are the conditions of payment for work to continue on our project?

We invoice every 30 days based on our progress on the current phase of services. Invoices are mailed on or before the 21st of each month and are payable on or before the 10th of the following month.