How to Speak Construction (Glossary of Terms)

FUMC Dickinson


BIM:      “Building Image Modeling”- A computer modeling tool and process Architects and Engineers use to create and integrate multiple building systems into a single 3D building model

CAD:      “Computer Aided Design”- Computer Software utilized by Architects and Engineers to develop Construction Documents

HVAC:   “Heating Ventilation & Air-Conditioning”

IFC:        “Issued for Construction”- Relating to a set of Construction Documents ready for Construction

MEP:     “Mechanical (air-conditioning & heating), Electrical, and Plumbing”

RFI:        “Request for Information”- Questions sent from the Contractor to the Architect during the Bidding and Negotiation and Construction Administration Phases

RFP:       “Request for Proposal”- Often requested of the Architect by the Owner for a proposal of services and cost

RFQ:      “Request for Qualifications”- This is a request made by the Owner of the Architect, Contractor, Consultants and Engineers of their relevant experience for the proposed project

SOQ:      “Statement of Qualifications”- This is a response document to the RFQ (Request for Qualifications)

SUP:      “Specific Use Permit”- A permit issued by the city authorizing land use allowed by the zoning district but may require special exemptions


Download a print-friendly version of this page or the entire Go Forth: A How-to Guide to Starting your Church Project.



Additional Questions?

If you’d like us to reach out to you personally to discuss your project, vision, or have a question about the architecture process, please fill out the form at the link below.

Let’s Get in Touch!